Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year, New Attitude

Well, it is that time again that we end one year and look forward to another. While I am not usually a fan of traditional New Year's Resolutions, I am a proponent making positive changes and starting fresh. While 2012, for the most part, was a fantastic year for me, the last four months have been very trying! As I look ahead to a new year and some new changes, I encourage you to think about the little things you can do to help yourself and others.

1. Focus on ME: I am not sure if this is part of being an adult, a mom, a woman or all of the above but as the years go by, I am focusing less on myself. I have remarked on many occasions, especially with Mom friends, that I wish I took care of myself the way I do my girls. I make sure they eat well, have limited sugar, processed foods, junk, etc. They get adequate sleep and when life seems to be getting busy and interfere with sleep or have too much stress, I slow down and make sure their needs are met first an foremost. Why don't I care for myself as I do my girls? While I don't neglect myself either, I don't work out as much as I would like, eat as well as I would like and I DO NOT manage my sleep and stress the way I should. This year, that is changing. I am thinking about ME. Because if I don't, who will???

2. Try not to internalize everything and live in fear: As Patrick frequently has to say to me, "not everything is about you!" This makes me sound very selfish but let me give it some perspective. We will be watching a TV show and I begin to ask questions of me, Patrick or our life in relation to a situation on TV or feel pain of characters. I begin to see everything as if it is happening to ME. I know this is a negative way to live my life and that is why as I look ahead, I am trying to not internalize every negative thing that could be and spend more energy on the positives that are!

3. Give Back: I look at the negativity, tragedy and pain in this country and while I can't change it all, I think there are little things we can do to make a difference in peoples lives or even their day. I am putting a little more energy into others. Whether it is a random note to a colleague telling them how valued they are, a card sent home to a student, a smile to stranger, a card, text or call to a friend or family member to tell them they are loved and being thought of, a random act of kindness, or being involved with those less fortunate, I hope that I can spread some more love and happiness to others. I believe that simple thoughtful acts make big differences and lead to more kindness.

4. Fulfilling Individual Dreams: There have been a couple "projects" on my mind for several years. I have pushed them to the back burner because of lack or money, time, resources or knowledge. Excuses no more. I may not bring both dreams to fruition but I hope I can say that they have at least moved from dreams to "works in progress!"  

I hope you have a pleasant celebration and your new year brings good health and whatever happiness and changes that you so deserve.

With hugs and smiles,
Happy Camper

No comments:

Post a Comment